Follow mplsmetal on Twitter

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Slayer Album Review

Slayer – World Painted Blood
Sony, 2009

8/10


Seems like the latest, long-overdue album from Slayer has been endlessly promoted for months so it’s a relief that it is finally out. Slayer’s legendary status unfortunately means that every album of theirs will be over-analyzed and judged more critically than most bands, so the pressure under which the band records has got to be suffocating. I’ll just state upfront that I didn’t find much to like about World Painted Blood upon first listen, but it has quickly grown on me. My initial thoughts ran something like this – too much of a punk-rock feel to the songs, not much direction to the album, and a thin, weak production. I still don’t like the production, but multiple listens have made me a fan of the album. The title track, a mid-paced rocker, opens the album before “Unit 731” kicks in with a buzzsaw riff. Another fast track, “Snuff”, leads off with a lengthy guitar solo, followed by one of the slowest songs, “Beauty Through Order”. Most of the album alternates between fast and slow- or mid-tempo songs. The only song that sounds out of place is “Americon”, with its fist-pounding rhythm and distorted guitars. “Psychopathy” and “Playing With Dolls” are excellent tracks to wind down the album, but things fall flat with the down-tuned sludge of closer “Not Of This God”. World Painted Blood is easy to listen to all the way through, despite the weakness of just two tracks, “Americon” and “Not Of This God”. Once my shock from the production went away, I found myself really enjoying World Painted Blood and I feel a little silly for dismissing the album on the first play. Now, about the production. My main problem with the album’s sound is that the bass is buried in the mix. The guitars, snare drum, and vocals are way upfront while the bass is relegated to a nearly indistinct background rumble. This sound is just not heavy, and I feel like I’m listening to the album on a boom box. Aside from the production, World Painted Blood is a fine addition to the Slayer catalog. The band has written an album that really doesn’t sound like their previous efforts, but strangely doesn’t stray far from that Slayer sound. If comparisons must be made, the closest I can draw is South Of Heaven. World Painted Blood isn’t as heavy, but the pace of the album and the ways in which the bands is stretching their sound make these two albums sonic cousins. Give this one two or three listens before pronouncing judgment, I think there’s a lot here to make Slayer fans happy.

Slayer will be performing at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul on Thursday, February 4 with co-headliner Megadeth. Support will come from Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment