Follow mplsmetal on Twitter

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

CONVERGE Album Review


Converge – All We Love We Leave Behind
Epitaph, October 2012
5/10

For my tastes, Converge elicits the same yawn from me as Meshuggah. Both bands are highly acclaimed and widely loved, but I can’t get past certain misgivings about each. In the case of Converge, the chaotic, never-ending discordant noise that permeates their sound grates on these ears, and the vocals, which range from drunken, sloppy yells to hoarse screams, are problematic. A comparison in this regard can be made to Animosity-era Corrosion Of Conformity. It’s undeniable that almost no band can achieve such a raw, brutal, and fast sound. Nearly every song on this 40-minute whirlwind has some ripping thrash riffs, and I have to admit that these parts keep my attention. At times the music is so darn good that I want to keep listening just to see if my criticisms are misplaced. Frequently classified as metalcore, Converge isn’t about “groove” and predictable beatdowns, and they have more in common with classic thrash metal bands. Fan may be screaming at my review, but ultimately, though, All We Love We Leave Behind is a depressing listen and an album that I don’t expect to subject myself to again.

Converge performs this Friday, October 19 at the Triple Rock Social Club in Minneapolis with support from Torche, Kvelertak, and Mourner.

No comments:

Post a Comment